Friday, September 20, 2019

The Aragon Project: Ready to Ride

The Aragon isn't "done," but I can safely ride it. Last night I lubricated the chain and adjusted the rear derailleur to reliably move the chain to all six freewheel gears.

Here are some before and after shots.




I could have used an aluminum handlebar, but the Aragon's steel handlebar was a bit wider and felt more comfortable.



I added MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals to the Traveler's cranks for a sleeker look.



The brake lever hoods add a nice finish.


September 7: Fresh from a Craigslist sale.


September 20: Fresh from a ride around the block.


Part of the fun with projects like this is seeing what I can learn to do. Removing cranks and servicing a bottom bracket were new experiences. I hadn't worked with center-pull brakes before, and I haven't adjusted derailleurs, either. I'm not an expert, but when I look at this bike, I now understand what I'm seeing.

There's no rush, but I need to replace the damaged spoke protector (plastic disc that is on the right-side of the spokes of a rear wheel). I'm going to see if the metal spoke protector from the bent rim will fit. It would give the aluminum rim an even more retro look.



I am also going to replace the tires. I have a pair of Kenda gumwalls in the garage, but it seems like a waste not to use the current black tires for now.




The Traveler's pedals will go back on if I choose to sell the Aragon. They will clean up well and work just fine.


I spent $68 on this project. The pedals, stem, and saddle that came from my parts stash cost $39. That's brings my current total to $107. Add new tires and the Schwinn pedals, and I'm at $112.

If the rear rim hadn't been bent, then I wouldn't have bought the donor bicycle. I would have spent $127 to get the Aragon on the road. I don't think it would have turned out as well. I know it would have been heavier. It wouldn't have 12 speeds, either. When life gives you lemons...

Plus, I have some more parts to add to the bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment