Saturday, September 14, 2019

The Aragon Project: Abductive reasoning

"If it looks like a Schwinn, rides like a Schwinn, and is stamped like a Schwinn, then it probably is a Schwinn." - said No One Ever

The progress of the Aragon project would not have been possible without having the Schwinn Traveler as a donor bike, and the fact that the Aragon was "Made in Taiwan."


What does Taiwan have to do with it? Well, I can't find any solid facts about Aragon bicycles. There are a few bikes out there like mine, but their owners have the same questions that I do.

I did find some online comments that an Aragon's serial number is similar to what is stamped on Schwinn bikes that were made in Taiwan by Giant Manufacturing Co.

Giant began manufacturing bikes for Schwinn in 1977. Due to a strike at the Schwinn Chicago plant, Giant was making more than two-thirds of Schwinn bikes by the mid-1980s. Giant would also sell these same bicycles as a private label - a product that is manufactured by one company and then sold under another company's brand.

The serial number/ date code on my Schwinn Traveler is G0283. 


G = Giant
02 = February
83 = 1983  So, the Traveler was manufactured in Feb. 1983. 

The font and identification system are the same on the Aragon. 


G = Giant
04 =April
82 = 1982

I think the Aragon is actually a private label Schwinn that was made by Giant and sold in the US by a New York company, The Mediators. The original stem seems to prove this.


I think that is why so many parts from the 1983 Traveler easily fit on the Aragon. Both frames were built in the same factory less than a year apart. Weird how that worked out for me. It certainly wasn't planned; I just wanted a cheap bike with a straight rear wheel I could use. 

I ended up with a mini parts store.

The Traveler gave up its tires, rims, brakes, crank assembly, chain, pedals, bottom bracket bearings, front derailleur, and its bar tape. I might use its down tube shifters. I'll put the handlebars, seat post, head set, and rear derailleur in the parts bin. There's not much left...


No comments:

Post a Comment