Friday, September 27, 2019

Take a Deeeeep Breath.

As of right now, this is the only picture on my phone:


I did the math, and this is blog post number 1000. That's a bit hard to believe. When I started this blog 7 1/2 years ago, I didn't envision I'd still be blogging. But here I am. Anyway, I knew if I wanted to get to blog post #1001, I'd have to do something about my phone. 

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and it has 32 GB of memory. Until today, the memory was so full, I had to delete pictures so the phone would function properly. I had used up 31.1 GB.

I tried using the Android File Transfer program, but I couldn't get it to recognize my phone on any of our computers. I could text one picture at a time to my laptop. I did that with the 70 pictures that I took in the Black Hills. Man, was that tedious.

I don't trust a cloud, so I finally asked my buddy Rob, who had given me the phone, what I could do. He pointed me to Techkey's OTG USB Flash Drive 64GB Memory Stick for Android Phones. Amazon sent it to me in one day, but instructions were not included. I watched several YouTube videos. Nope. I read several tutorials. Nope again. Finally, I found this page ----> link. Okay! Now I know how this works.

I took a deeeeep breath. Then I hit the "Move" function. I nervously fidgeted as 1,923 pictures and 76 videos of irreplaceable memories were whisked off my phone and onto a $10 flash drive. 

Years of birthday parties, Christmas programs, family vacations, school concerts, family visits, posing pets, summer camps, firework displays, fair foods, and our lives swirled down an electric funnel into a small, plastic repository that wasn't kind enough to arrive with directions. 

When the move was complete, I carefully unmounted (their word) the flash drive from my phone and plugged it into my laptop. From a loaf of San Francisco sourdough...



to the Aragon's head tube...


It was all there. Whew! 

Thanks, Rob! I copied the folder of phone pictures to an external hard drive. My phone is at 17.39 GB, and I'm ready for Daddy-Daughter weekend. "Hey Charlotte! Stand over there by the..."

No comments:

Post a Comment