Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Aragon Project: Back in the Saddle

I wanted to get a another replacement rear wheel for the Aragon, and I thought I had found another donor Schwinn on Craigslist. When I arrived to buy the bike, I discovered that the seller had removed its wheels. What? I have my suspicions about what happened, but I won't go into that.

Instead of explaining, the owner gruffly offered to look through his collection of parts to see if he had a 6 speed rim. What he found wasn't exactly what I wanted. The wheel was narrower than what I have on the Aragon, but I was facing more 5 o'clock traffic, and I didn't feel like coming home empty-handed.

It is nice not having to dismantle another working bike for its components, but I was regretting my $15 purchase on the drive home. But then I noticed that the wheel's skewer was stamped with the company logo for Campagnolo.


Campagnolo is an Italian company that makes high-end bicycle components, and "Who Hoo," the Aragon is going to get fancy. I installed the wheel as soon as I got home. I didn't bother cleaning the wheel because I didn't know if it would play nice with the Sugino sprockets.

The other side of the skewer looks neat, too.


The freewheel is a French made Maillard Helicomatic.


The Helicomatic does have the six gears that I wanted, and it is very quiet.


The Aragon was cruising the neighborhood after an adjustment to the rear derailleur and the rear brake. Luckily, the French freewheel and the Japanese crank paired nicely.


The size difference between the two wheels is noticeable. The front is 27 x 1 1/4. The rear is 27 x 1 1/8. The diameter is the same. Maybe it's the tires? I'll have to do some more research on sizes. Otherwise, I'll need another wheel that matches either the front or the back. This time I think I'll stay away from sketchy Craigslist sellers and visit a local bike shop.

So, the Aragon is back on the road for $15, and I feel good about that. I can go out into the garage and look at the bicycle with much less guilt.

The search for parts might not be over, but that's okay. The search is half of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment