Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Aragon Project: Brake Levers Update

I don't like the look of "suicide" brake levers. They were all the rage when I was a kid. But if you didn't keep your brake cables properly adjusted (and who did?), these would eventually fail to stop your bike. By the time you got to the other lever, it was too late. That's how they got their nickname.

Time to get rid of them.


When you remove the screw for the "suicide" lever, a metal barrel is left exposed.


I cut the barrel off with a hacksaw. (Yes, this is the other brake lever. I forgot to take pictures of the first one.)


I then used some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out the scratches from the saw blade. I could put the screw back to cover up the hole, but I'm going to put on new brake hoods.


You can imagine what they will look like.


A polished brake lever will look smooth and shiny under its new hood.


It's true, I could have purchased new brake levers. But modifying levers that I already had is more satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment