Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Well, That's a Switch

Last year I took home this grinder that was standing by the curb on spring clean-up day. The owner's manual is from 1953, so I can only assume the handmade wooden stand was constructed and the motor and grinder were installed about that time.


The components cleaned up well, and I added polishing wheels. I really enjoy using the buffer, but I have to plug and unplug the cord to turn it on and off. There's no power switch.


This rusty bracket is a leftover from the bench that I made for Daphne. It may look bad, but it is solid.


I removed the rust by using the grinder's wire brush and a bath of Evapo-Rust.


I've been trying to think of a way to use the bracket since July. An idea hit me yesterday while I was walking out of the dentist's office. I know... I have a vintage toggle switch that I have been wanting to use with the buffer. Could I modify that bracket and use it to mount the switch?

In a word, yes.


I drilled out the bracket's existing middle hole to accommodate the toggle. Then I used the switch to mark the spots to drill the holes for the screws.


I drilled a hole in the table so I could route the power cord underneath.


One side of the power cord was cut and connected to the switch. I used two wood screws to attach the bracket to the table.


I drilled another hole to run the cord out the back. I fastened the safety clip that was inside the motor to the cord on the inside of the hole.



I decided to mount the bracket so I could see some metal. Why hide it? The switch works well. The "thunk" you feel when the switch is engaged is an added bonus. 


The bracket's bare metal will begin to rust again, so I need to take this apart and spray paint the bracket with Rust-Oleum. I think I'll use clear. I like the metal's weathered surface; it looks appropriate for a tool that's over 60 years old.

I said to myself, You know what? I bet somebody else would think that this switch has always been here. It looks just like something some old dude back in the day would come up with.

Then it hit me. I am that old dude.

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment