Wednesday, October 9, 2019

The Aragon Project: Last Post

I installed the front Suntour AR derailleur that was on the Traveler. It's a better partner for the crankset, and it is the last component that the Traveler could donate to this project.


I read a forum post by an owner of a Giant-made Schwinn frame. He said his was constructed with FEMCO 1207 Tensile Tubing. I bought this sticker from eBay, and put it on the seat tube. I have no idea if this sticker is a lie or not.


I added a handlebar mount for the retro bottle cage. Both came from Velo Orange. The koozie is from our trip to the Black Hills.


The Helicomatic freewheel has its detractors, but it has its fans, too. I think this is a unique component for a unique bike.


I might replace the rear derailleur with a AR model, but your Honor works fine for now.


I have a new chain to put on. The back tire has a slow leak, and I have a replacement tube for that. Neither of these two jobs would be fun to write about. For now, I'm done blogging about this bike. Time to wrap it up.

The Aragon has come a long way in one month. Once again, here's the "before" picture:


And the "after" pictures:






I really enjoyed putting this bike together. I learned quite a bit. I'm going to ride it for awhile to make sure it is safe, and then I'll move on to another project. I have an idea for that.

What did I end up with? It's not a restoration bike; there aren't many original components left on the Aragon. I didn't even bother touching up the paint. It's not a custom bike. I didn't do anything wild to it. I just moved parts from one bike/place to another and cold set the frame and fork. It's not a racing bike, either. You won't win many races with that steel frame.

The boy scouts have a rule about leaving a campground better than when you found it. That is what happened here. No matter how you slice it, the Aragon is still just an old bicycle. Even so, I have a much better old bicycle than what I started with.

I can guarantee you that I have the nicest 12 speed Aragon on my block.

No comments:

Post a Comment