Tuesday, October 8, 2019

What's New Copycat (bike)?

When I'm in bicycle-mode (like now), I like to visit Coco's Variety's website to see what their used bike builds look like. I have learned a lot from reading the build descriptions. The owner of Co-Co's writes very well, and he is funny.

"In addition to new bikes, Coco's sells faded champions reborn for another chance at glory. Quality bikes that originated in bike stores - not big box - that have been reconditioned and warrantied for the next owner."

A classic Ideor bicycle caught my eye six years ago. I spend a lot of time studying pictures of that bike. The Ideor wasn't for sale; Coco's were working on it for a customer. I couldn't have afforded a vintage Italian ride, anyway. I decided to see if I could make a bike similar to the Ideor.

Our computer was later hacked, and this is the only picture of the Ideor that survived. 


I really could not believe it when I first spotted this Schwinn in Dad's storage space. It was black, a road bike, and it had downtube shifters. The Voyageur was exactly what I was looking for. We didn't have much room in our garage for another bike, but there was no way this wasn't coming home with me. 

I found Dad's bike five years after he passed. It felt like he had given me one last, cool gift. I thanked him as I pushed the Schwinn to my car. 


Here's the first version of my Co-Co Copycat. I cleaned everything and installed new tires and tubes, a new handlebar, and new cork handlebar grips coated with shellac. The brake levers were used. I rode it like this for a couple of years.


On Co-Co's advice, I installed Tektrol FL750 brake levers. I used these rubber hand grips when we went on RAGBRAI, and I added a bell.


Here's Co-Co Copycat version 2.0: I wanted pedals that I could use barefoot, and I added a short, chrome fender out back. The rack came off an abandoned bike I ran across while training for the Dam to Dam. That's the only kind of litter that I like. That saddle from Goodwill is currently on the Aragon.


Co-Co Copycat 3.0: I liked the look of the previous handlebar, but it wasn't long enough to accommodate the brake levers and the hand grips I wanted. These handlebars are roomier.


I bought the Ideale 80 saddle at the Vintage and Made Fair a few years ago. I believe the seat was meant to be a display piece because the leather was in really rough shape. Heavy Duty LP brought the seat to a usable condition.


I believe this was created for firefighters' boots, but people in the bike forums recommend it.


I didn't ride the bike barefoot, and I didn't ever like the look of those rubber-topped pedals. I went back to the Ideor picture for inspiration. It took me awhile to find matching pedals. You can't see the brand or model number even with the picture enlarged.


I searched eBay for "vintage bicycle pedals," and then looked at every listing. That took a few tries.


I think I found a match.


One of the last things I wanted to install were covers for the shift levers. I found these on eBay, and I didn't notice who the seller was until I had purchased them. It's true. They're from Coco's Variety. Kind of neat how that worked out.


I'm stoked that something from Co-Co's is on my bike. It's fun to pay back.


Here's the Copycat today. I ditched the fender, the rack, and the frame reflectors. 


Someday I might put it back into its original road bike stance, I kept the drop bars and grip tape, but I'm satisfied for now.

I really need to clean it...

No comments:

Post a Comment