Thursday, October 3, 2019

Unlocked and Loaded (into the car)

My dad stored some of his things at my cousin Curt's acreage. I recognized some of his stuff, but others items seem to have come from nowhere. The bicycle I found in Curt's machine shed is a good example. 


I hadn't seen my father riding a bike since I was in elementary school. As far as I knew, he had zero interest in bicycles. Guns and golf were all he cared about. So what was he doing with a 1979 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8? My mom didn't have any ideas, and neither did Curt. The man with the answers is regrettably silent.

"Dead men tell no tales." Thomas Becon (c. 1560)

A smaller mystery is the bike lock that's wrapped around the seat post. 


I removed the post and freed the chain, but I didn't have the lock's combination. It's been hanging from a garage shelf ever since. I walk past the lock everyday, but I haven't seen it in six years.


I noticed the lock last night, and I wondered if I could get it open. There are several YouTube videos with tips of how to deal with this type of lock when you've lost the combination. Look it up if you're interested. 

Remember: if it's your lock, then you can do this legally. If it's not your lock, then this is called stealing. Make good choices, kids.

I turned and pulled for a few minutes before bedtime. I had a little success. I thought that I had two numbers right (6 and 1). This morning I figured out the other two numbers (3 and 5).  I was surprised and elated when the lock slid open. 


It's as if one part of the bike's puzzle has been solved. 

As a theft deterrent, the lock might as well be made of yarn. The chain would bore a bolt cutter. But as a vintage bike accessory, this is lock is kind of cool. I suppose I'll hang it back up in the garage and forget about it again. 

The Voyageur is also hanging in my garage, I'll blog about that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment