Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thrift Store Show and Tell: Head Games Edition

When I shop thrift stores, I have two voices in my head. One is 44-year-old Brent, and the other is 14-year-old Brent.

Both Brents agree thrift store shopping is fun. 44-year-old Brent believes a thrift store is a great place to find projects to work on, and he understands you need to limit how much junk you should own. 14-year-old Brent is obsessed with movies, music, funky t-shirts, skateboards, old bikes, vintage stereo equipment, and classic video game systems. 14-year-old Brent knows no limits.

Last December I was at the Hope Ministries thrift store looking for funny stocking-stuffers when I spotted this on a shelf.


14-year-old Brent: Sweet! A Game Boy! Grab it! Grab it!
44-year-old Brent: Hold on. I don't need another Game Boy. I've got a shoebox full of them in the basement.
14: Who cares? It's a Game Boy! And this one looks perfect!
I opened the case, and sure enough, this Game Boy was in very nice condition.


14: Dude! It's the clear edition. You don't have a clear one!


44: Okay, I agree that it's almost perfect for it's age, and I don't have a clear one, but I don't need a clear Game Boy Color. Besides, this is priced $10. That's too much, and you know it.
14: But look! There's a game in it already. That means you get a free game!


44: Yes, it would be a free game, but it's a Pokemon game. I have never Pokemoned anything, and I'm not about to start.
14: Ha ha! You said, "Poke"!
44: I'm putting this down. It's time to go.
14: No, wait! Wait! Check to see if it has batteries.



14: Now check to see if they're new.


44: Okay, they're new. So what?
14: Do the math! You're getting a Game Boy, a case, a game, and batteries! If you bought all that stuff separately it would be waaay more than ten bucks! This thing is practically free! It's like they're giving it away. Besides, for all you know, that Pokemon game is rare and worth some bucks. 
44: Well, the clear case is pretty cool...

And so it goes.

As you can guess from the photos taken in my kitchen, 14-year-old Brent won the argument. And he was right about the game, for once. According to Amazon, the Silver Version of this Pokemon game is a bit rare:


Asking $149.99 for this game is insane, but maybe I could get $20 for it on Craigslist.

14: Ha ha! You said "but"!

No comments:

Post a Comment