Friday, January 3, 2014

A Very Merry Half Birthday To Me... To Me.

As any kid who was born in June, July, or early August, can tell you, summer birthdays tend to be less celebratory. You don't get to bring treats to school, the teacher doesn't announce your big day to everyone, and a room full of classmates doesn't sing "Happy Birthday" to you.

A summer birthday will garner you gifts, a card from Grandma, and if you're lucky - a small party. Sure, all of that is great, but a summer birthday isn't quite the same. It's not anybody's fault, but in the world of K-6 education, if it didn't happened during school year, then it didn't happen at all.

Interestingly, things didn't change when I became a high school teacher. For two decades the English department has always made sure to throw little parties for any member who has a birthday during the school year. The women (I'm the only male in a department of nine) will put up a few decorations in the English office, they'll all sign a card, and then they'll share a treat before school begins. I've even been invited a couple of times.

But now, on Fridays, our school's weekly calendar is emailed to the staff, and it lists people who have birthdays, and half birthdays coming up.


For the first few years when I was listed as a half birthday boy, nothing came of it. But then one year my big moment came. I was told by a department member, "Brent, we thought about celebrating your half birthday this year... but since there are so many real birthdays this month, we've decided to push yours back a few months."

For one, I didn't know that was even possible. For two, the celebration was pushed back until it was neatly forgotten.

Maybe I should read this book:


So, imagine my surprise hearing, "Happy 1/2 birthday, Brent!" when I walked into the building yesterday. It was friend of mine calling from across the hall, on her way to a meeting.

Later, my jaw dropped when I found this on my desk.


Let's open it!


Holy. Cow. A coworker took the time to bake me a cake for my 1/2 birthday? Seriously, how cool is that?

I don't name people on my blog without their permission (at least nice people), so I can't tell you who made my day yesterday, but it turns out that I work with a lot of nice girls, too.

Maybe I don't need that book after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment