Thursday, January 16, 2014

Limited Time Only!

I had Charlotte all to myself on Monday. Char's "pink eye" was much better, but on Sunday night she still had a fever. Daphne was going to be busy with her Monday morning jazz band practice and the preparations for her Monday night band concert. So, I called in for an emergency sick day.

Char had me up at 7:02, and her temperature was spot on at 98.4. Since she wasn't technically sick anymore, we discussed the possibilities for our day over a breakfast of milk and mini waffles.

"We could go to the library when it opens."
"Uh uh."
"We could drive to the H store to see if they have any new stuff to play with."
"Nooo. I have enough toys." (Yes, she actually said that.)
"Since your temperature wasn't over 100 yesterday, you could go to Good Time Gang. Would you like that?"
"No!'
"You don't want to go to Good Time Gang and play with your friends?"
"Daaaaad! I just want to stay home and play with you!"

That settled that.

We watched Peg + Cat, and then played their games on the PBS website. We watched the dogs of Paw Patrol play frisbee, and then we played catch with our Beamo in basement.


We also played hide the Beamo, roll the Beamo, and throw Beamo down the steps. Ring the Charlotte with the Beamo is fun, too. After eating octopus for lunch (spaghetti and hotdog pieces),


we solved five puzzles on the floor and pushed away our cats who kept trying to dismantle our efforts. 

Daphne was home by the time Char awoke from her afternoon nap (I slept 45 minutes myself). And I snuck out to get some stuff for dinner. We told Mom goodbye at 5:30 while we ate a dinner of SpaghettiOs and string cheese.

After dinner it was movie time! Char was pretty excited when she spotted the Cinderella III: A Twist in Time DVD on her shelf of movies. She's too young to know that sequels usually stink.


We've watched the original Cinderella several times, but I was a bit leery of this one. I had forgotten we owned the movie, and I hadn't previewed it. But she was so pumped that she had discovered it by herself, and since the movie was rated G, I thought we could give it a spin. So how did it go?

Home run!

For once, one or both parents didn't die in the beginning (a Disney staple); the Fairy Godmother was only turned to stone. As we watched the terrible Stepmother work her stolen magic, Maggie (our 95 pound dog), and our cats Earl and Bo joined us on the couch. We had a full house. 

About every five minutes Charlotte would see a scene she wanted to see "AGAIN!", and because of that I think Char would give A Twist in Time five stars. Considering my low expectations, I'll echo her review. There's some good character development, a theme that true love is stronger than magic, and at 65 minutes it's a perfect length.

When it was all over Char exclaimed, "Let's dance like Cinderella!" 
"Don't you need a prince for that?"
Charlotte laughed, "No, Dad! I only need YOU!" and she leapt off the couch.

We've done this before, and I know exactly how to catch her under her arms when she makes such a jump. 

Here's our routine: after the catch, I swing her towards the ceiling as I spin us around with her knees pressed against my chest. As we wind down, she slides down my front, and once her feet touch the floor, we awkwardly dance around the room. After a few poorly timed kicks, I start spinning us in a tight circle until her feet leave the ground. 

As we spin hand in hand, looking just like a Kodak commercial, Charlotte giggles and cries out "Daddy stop!" because she's getting dizzy.

I do stop, but I don't want to. I know there are only so many days left for my daughter to want to choose me over a classroom of Good Time friends. And soon enough I won't be princely enough to fill the spot as her dancing partner.

It's so true:


Last Monday wasn't a sick day. It was a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment