Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Just Fortunate to be Here

We attended Char's music program last night. The theme was based on the book The Day the Crayons Quit.



When Char's class walked onstage, a mother near me commented, "These kids look huge!"


I recorded my favorite part of the program, but for some reason the video is a useless black. I'll have to describe it. While she was singing, Char took one second to look me in the eye and scowl. Then she went right back to singing with an innocent face. It's now our family joke, and she pulled it off flawlessly.

She gave me the same look while singing in church last Sunday. She makes the face right at the end of this short video. You can see it on my phone, but sometimes the blog cuts video clips short.


Each grade performed a 15 minute set. When the second graders began singing "You are my Sunshine," a preschooler sitting behind us sang along note for note. When it was done, she said, "Hmmmpt. That's my song!"

The program ended with the third graders singing "True Colors." Thematically, that's a great song choice. Also, this version is on the Trolls soundtrack that we listen to in my car, so hearing Char sing it felt personal.



This is the last time Charlotte will be part of this program. Next year she'll be in the 4th and 5th grade program. That makes me a little sad. It could be worse. I know parents who are near my age, and they are already starring at an empty nest.

So, my melancholy is brief. Instead of worrying about what we are leaving behind, I focus on looking forward to what is ahead. In reality, I'm just fortunate to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment