Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Getting a Grip (Tape)

Skateboard Update:

I haven't applied grip tape to a skateboard before, so I thought I'd practice on my beater board before I tried to regrip the Sector 9 deck. 

I decided to apply tape that had a design on it rather than just standard black. Finding grip tape with an appropriate image proved difficult. Many of the designs feature drugs, women's bodies, and/or profanity. I understand I'm not in the target audience for skating accessories. No skateboard designer ever slapped their pen on the table said, "There! This should appeal to a middle aged man in the Midwest!"

I picked a skull image since Halloween is coming. I'm not sure if the skull is a reference to something else, but Charlotte thinks it looks cool. That's good enough for me.


I watched several sketchy YouTube videos about applying grip tape. I finally decided to follow this guy's advice ---> Link. He seemed trustworthy, and his teeth are very white. 

The clear grip tape mutes the Sector 9 logo, but the tape will keep Charlotte from sliding off the deck when she rides it. I suppose that's more important...


I'm using the larger wheels that were on Char's short-longboard. They should work for now.


The Sector 9 board has come a long way since it left Davis, California (don't eat the sugar cookies when you visit ---> link.) I'm pleased with how the skateboard came out, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.

Mini update -10/29/18: I scored some different Sector Nine wheels for a reasonable price on eBay. I really like the ride and look. I think this project is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment