Saturday, October 20, 2018

I like Saturdays at Flix

I don't typically like upgrades. Every few years I get a new laptop to use at work, and I always seem to get less. Yes, my latest laptop weighs less than it's predecessor. But it doesn't have a DVD drive, and it has also has less memory. I have to use an external DVD player and a external hard drive now.


Also, familiar programs that have worked for years are no longer compatable with the new laptop. What kind of an upgrade is that?

So, I was disappointed when I heard that Merle Hay Mall was closing its huge, 800-seat theater and building a new one. I'm glad to admit that Flix Brewhouse is an upgrade that I can appreciate.

I like buying tickets and reserving our seats ahead of time. I didn't know how stressful finding seats for the family was until I didn't have to do it. Shuffling down a crowed isle only to be crossly told that those open seats are "taken" is embarrassing and frustrating.

I like the food. It's weird eating in darkness, but they have dim, under the counter lights to help. My go-to is the supreme pizza, hold the peperoni.

I like the programming. Instead of commercials, Flix runs thematic clips before showtime. For example, we watched parts of old cartoons like The Land Before Time and The Flintstones while waiting for The Good Dinosaur to begin.

I like the previews. At showtime, Flix runs about five previews that take no more than 10-12 minutes. That's it. I've watched 30 minutes of previews and commercials in other theaters. When Charlotte was younger, 30 minutes plus a full length movie was too long of a time for her to stay focused and entertained.

I like the displays. I'm sure these are not Flix exclusives, but these displays are fun photo ops.



Would I recommend Small Foot? No, I would not. 

Would I recommend watching Small Foot at Flix? Yes, I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment