Saturday, May 5, 2012

Some Toys are Best Left Alone

My mom gave us a toy for Charlotte: a stuffed mouse with its palms stitched together. When you pull the mouse's tail, you hear a recording of this prayer:

"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
If I die before I wake,
I ask the Lord my soul to take."

I have no problem with Christian themed toys. The problem with this particular toy is that the high-pitched voice reading the prayer is obviously an older woman trying her best to sound like a child. Makes me think of Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?":



That's creepy enough on its own, but the woman uses a slow, breathy delivery and mispronounces the "s" on "sleep" and "soul" (she says "theep" and "thoul").  Instead of a cute, praying mouse, it sounds like a speech impeded demon threatening me with SIDS.

I kept a straight face when my mom proudly demonstrated the mouse for me, but there is no way that thing is going in my daughter's crib.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--RI7tlWuaM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment