Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I hope Dam to Dam doesn't beat me up like that.

When I was thinking about running my first marathon, I heard that UNI had sometimes offered a "marathon class". The class met twice a week; Tuesday's class covered physical education and Thursday's class was dedicated to the psychology of running and mental imagery. The assignments included group runs, running logs, and class assignments. The final exam was the participation in a full marathon. 

I couldn't take the class, but I bought the "text book" used to see if I could get some help: http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823. The book is comprised of seventeen chapters, and each chapter covers one week of training ending with a training log page. For me, the most useful information was the focus on the psychological. Sure it's physical, but like anything in life, successful running also depends upon positive attitude and mental strength.

Like any used textbook, the previous owner had already highlighted and written in it. Here's the first running log entry:


It's also the last entry; all the other running log pages are blank.

Five exclamation points? Uffda.

No comments:

Post a Comment