Monday, April 16, 2012

What we've got here is failure to communicate


Charlotte's almost into her 20th month, and the size of her vocabulary seems to grow with every breath she takes. But I don't always understand every word she says, and I can't get by with a "Uh huh, yes, that's right." anymore, either. Char knows what she's trying to tell me, and most of the time simply nodding my head in agreement is not the appropriate response.

Last week I was in the kitchen working on dinner. Charlotte walks in, grabs my index finger, and leads me from the stove to the middle of the room. "Egtthhs," is all she says.

I'm clueless, so I reply "Yep, that's true."

"Nooooo. Egtthhs," she patiently repeats.
  
I pause for a moment to try and decipher her request, but I draw a blank. "Yep. I believe it."
  
"No. No. No. Egtthhs!" Her head is shaking, her volume is rising, and I can see tears of frustration start to well. We're just about ready to cross the Tantrum County Line.
  
Then Mom comes in and saves the evening, "What's wrong little one?"

"Egtttthhhhhssss..." 
  
"Oh, your Easter basket? It's right here." Daphne retrieves the basket from the kitchen’s island and hands it to Char. "All your Easter eggs are in there, honey. They're all okay." 
  
Charlotte smiles, grabs the basket with one hand, takes her mother's index finger with the other, and they both leave the room without giving me a passing glance. 

Once again I'm left alone to wonder if Charlotte's beginning to suspect that dad's lovable, but he's also kinda dumb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment