Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Let's Just Keep the Talk Small

When we visit the Downtown Farmer's Market we bring our dog Maggie with us, and I'm prepared to answer questions about her. She's large, white, and quick to smile, so dog people often want to know the basics: breed, age, and how much she sheds. Most compliment her demeanor, share a bit about their own dogs, and continue on their way. It's nice.

Little kids often enthusiastically quote "Despicable Me" when they see her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLJDR-XbVY&feature=related. It's cute.

Sometimes the conversations get too personal, though. One woman mentioned that her Great Pyrenees had recently ran away, and she began crying in front of me because she so missed her, " ...p, p, p, puppy..." Another woman told how her Pyrenees was run over by a school bus... in front of her kids no less. Being a teacher without sub plans, she had to grab a shovel and quickly bury the dog behind the barn before going to school covered in "...dirt, dog, and tears..." She also started crying.

I'm not making fun of these ladies, but what do I say to those kind of stories? Especially when I'm trying to enjoy a thick slice of delicious coffee cake? It's uncomfortable.

What's worse is when people stalk your dog. During the first stop they learn her basics, and then ten minutes later they run over saying, "Hi Maggie! Did you want another pet from me?" The third time around they are even more demonstrative, "Oh look! Maggie missed me! Come 'ere you big lover. You love me Maggies don't 'cho? Don't 'cho love me?" Maggie is patient with these people, but when they start hinting that our dog would really prefer to go home with them instead us, we all leave. It's time.

Usually I'm already covered with little bits of cookie crumbs and drips of kabob sauce, so I don't need to get their crazy on me too.


FYI: Maggie got dressed up to wish you a Happy Easter:

I think she could be in a Cadbury Egg commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamnDsxFLyg

No comments:

Post a Comment