Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Running at the Mouth

Although I sometimes regret it, I don't listen to music when I run. If I'm going for more than thirty minutes, then I'll eventually have to venture out of my neighborhood. Strange dogs, cracks in unfamiliar sidewalks, and hidden driveways are all possible dangers. Considering how fatigue slows down my reaction time, I can't allow myself to get lost in the music. 


This isn't to say I don't get lost inside my head. When I'm by myself I can get stuck in protracted, imaginary arguments for miles. That's not very helpful emotionally, and the resulting negative attitude makes the workout all that much harder. Luckily, Charlotte pops in to help me out.

I don't obsess about my daughter when I run, but I can't stop myself from using her vocabulary when I see some of her favorite things. When I pass by a school bus my immediate thought is, "That's a lellow buth." When I spot a startled rabbit darting under a bush I say, "Hellooo, Hop-hop." A bird passes overhead? "Bird fly! Flap, flap." I can't help saying these phrases, and I can't help smiling, either.

But the worst is when I feel pressure on my bladder, "Oh, I think I have to potty."

Seriously? Potty? I have to be careful to not say that in front of people.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fcPfaMpSeE

No comments:

Post a Comment