Monday, September 24, 2018

Fall is Here!

I enjoy not being at school, but I'm not really a summer guy. I'd rather wear a light jacket than a swimsuit, and I'd rather walk through a pile of leaves than beach full of sand. 

Last Saturday was the first day of fall, and boy did the weather cooperate. At noon it was 60 degrees and sunny - a perfect combination.

We started the day at the Art on the Lake Festival. This was our first time at this event, and it was cool, "The festival is a family-friendly event that is free to attend & features music, food, kids’ crafts & over 50 local artists." Copper Creek Lake Part is also a beautiful area. We didn't buy any art, but Char liked the sno cones and popcorn.


Next was the Living History Farm's Fall Applefest. Air bobbing for apples is not as easy as it looks.


Home made apple fritter on a cool, autum day? Yes, please.


Char, can I have a bite of your fritter? 


I guess not.

Char went fishing for toothbrushes after lunch. I'm not sure why, though.


When you tour the history farms, the tractor ride drops you off at the 1700 Native American Farm. You then walk to the 1850 Pioneer Farm and finish at the 1900 Farm.

Char got to pick some corn at the 1850 farm.


This is called Bloody Butcher corn because of its red color. That has to be the coolest name ever given to a vegetable.


Thirteen and a half hands. That girl is growing like a weed.


Here Charlotte tries her hand at shelling corn. I wouldn't want to use if to shell a crop of corn, but the sheller is an ingenious devise.


Despite the great weather, we couldn't stay outdoors all day. Char has swimming lessons in the afternoon. Eventually we'll get back to pool weather, so we have to get Char ready for that. 


I grilled on Saturday night, but I think it's about time to dust off the crock pot. 

Chili, soups, pot roasts, stews, mashed potatoes, pumpkin-everything, fresh baked bread... there's a reason autumn ends with mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment