Friday, September 7, 2018

A Link to the Past

Several of my sophomore students will be reading The Great Gatsby this semester, so I thought I should read it myself.

The English department ordered a slew of new copies of the book,  but I borrowed an old copy from the department's old book cabinet. This is a 1986 edition.


I found this note card tucked between the pages. Looks like someone was bored in study hall. Kids, this is what your parents did in school because they didn't have cell phones.


The bookmark isn't the only thing I found inside.

F. Scott Fitzgerald dedicated The Great Gatsby to his wife, Zelda.


Look underneath the dedication.


Link is the main character in the 1987 video game The Legend of Zelda


The "Win with Link" sticker is from 1989.


There's an unused sticker for sale on eBay right now.


I wasn't an English teacher at UHS in 1989 (I was in college), but I worked with people who were teaching here then. I can tell you that this sticker would have made a couple of those ladies furious. If they would have seen it; they would have ripped it out.

So, as a teacher, what do I think? I think that it is a special kind of awesome that this gamer's joke has been hiding undetected inside this book for almost 30 years.

Rip it out? I'm more likely to frame it.

No comments:

Post a Comment