Friday, December 8, 2017

Is it Chili in Here?

When I was in school, I would sometimes ask my 4th period teacher if I could go to the bathroom, and then I'd secretly sneak down the hallway to check the lunch menu - a typed note posted on the cork board by the front office. On special days I'd skip away in joy - hands in the air - alerting anyone in the hallway that, "We're having chili today! Chili! Yeeesssss! Chili!" 

The chili itself was pretty good, but the star of the show and the real reason for all of my excitement was the cinnamon roll that came with the soup. That roll was a rock star. Just the thought of pulling it apart and dipping the sweet pieces into the spicy chili would brighten even the darkest of my junior high days.

Some readers of Taste of Home magazine also remember this as their "favorite school lunch".


Looks like Christina Montalvo's school kicked it up a notch. Sticky pecan rolls? I wouldn't say no.


Sadly, the food service at Urbandale High School hasn't served chili with a cinnamon roll in years. In fact, when I talk about this meal with current students, some will give me a look of disgust. I've tried to convince them that they are missing out on one of the ultimate comfort food combinations, but most just shake their heads. 

Is dipping cinnamon roll in a bowl of chili soup a dying tradition?

I wanted to know if my old high school is still making this meal. Now I don't have to sneak anywhere to find out what is for lunch at Rock Valley. I can simply check their website's menu.

On December 7th they had chili and cinnamon biscuits. I think that's close enough.


What about the other schools in the Siouxland Conference?

The 20th will be a good day at Central Lyon HS:


The West Lyon Wildcats will be devouring their lunch on the 19th:


The West Sioux Falcons preyed on cinnamon rolls as well:



I did my student teaching at Wayne High School in Wayne, Nebraska, and it looks like the Blue Devils won't be blue on the 20th, either.


Okay, whew, I think I can relax. The chili and cinnamon roll lunch is still alive and kicking. 

Now I have to find out if anyone knows how to make Turkey Supreme. Whatever happened to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment