Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Crusty Tot Pizza

The quest to make fun dinners at home continues.

I got the idea for last night's dinner from a feature on tater tots in All Recipes magazine.


Since tater tots are like French fries, I decided to make a cheese burger pizza for Daphne and I. Picky Charlotte gets just cheese on hers.

Here's our old school waffle iron. 


I thawed the frozen tots in the microwave and then lined them up on the waffle iron.


I used the back of a large spoon to press the tots down. I hoped that would help them stick together. It took about ten minutes in the old iron for the tots to get crispy.


Here's pizza crust number one. I was afraid it would fall apart when I took it out of the waffle iron, but the tot-crust came out as one piece. Yea! I employed our toaster oven for baking the pizzas. I wrapped some tin foil around a rack for easy cleanup.


For the cheese burger pizza sauce, I mixed ketchup and yellow mustard. I topped the sauce with browned hamburger, dill pickle relish and mild cheddar cheese. I forgot to buy an onion or that would have been on there, too.


It took about four minutes at 400 degrees to melt the cheese. I was too stingy with the cheese the first time around, so I added more on top of this.


I halved the cheese burger pizza, and then quartered each half.


Was it any good? Yes! This pizza tasted like a cheese burger and french fries rolled into one. The pizza was also comforting in a tater tot casserole kind of way. Char really liked the cheesy tots strips that I cut for her.

I know this isn't healthy food, but each small pizza used twenty tots, so that's about 320 calories in the crust. There are worst things in life, that's for sure. Best of all, this dinner was fun to make.

It's time to find another new recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment