Thursday, May 22, 2014

Taking Charlotte To The Bar: The Ripple Effect

A couple of years ago I had a sophomore tell the class that his hobby was racing in the 250 Motorcross class. My response was, "Cool! Motorcross is such a tough sport." He smiled at the recognition, so I continued the conversation, "You've got to have such quick reflexes and great coordination, and I don't have either. Were you just born with good balance?"

Without missing a beat, he replied, "No. I got my balance from taking ballet lessons."

The boy sitting in the next row snapped his at head around in surprise, "Ballet lessons?"

The other steeled his expression and growled through gritted teeth, "Yeah. Ballet lessons." His tone ended any teasing that might have started. I was impressed.

Later, in Connections (UHS's name for homeroom), I told his ballet story. When I was done, one of the senior girls in the room happily chimed in. "That's awesome! I know I wouldn't have my golf scholarship if I hadn't taken ballet!"

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, ballet teaches you body awareness. How to hold your head, how to move your arms... it's where I got my golf swing."

Then another senior girl joined in. "I was told that one of the reasons I'm so good at speaking Spanish is because I took ballet."

"How does that work?"

"Well, they say if you learn to pronounce words in a second language at an early age, then you'll have a good chance of being a good speaker in any foreign language. Ballet positions are all French." These are the kind of conversations that a father of a one-year-old stores into his memory.

Fast-forward two years, and we're taking Charlotte to her first dance lesson: a ballet lesson. No, I didn't give her the idea to take ballet. All of Char's heroes all take ballet.

The Peppa Pig gang takes ballet lessons.


So does Fancy Nancy.


As does Charlie's small, but very funny sister, Lola.


So, taking ballet wasn't my idea, but I sure support it.

Here's the very serious ballet dancer (and her dog) preparing for her first lesson.


Here's the normal Charlotte (and her dog) preparing for her first ballet lesson.


  Showing off the leotard.


At the studio, getting some help with the ballet shoes.


Char started out a little shy and unsure of herself.


But then the instructor, who is very good with little children, shut the door to the studio. Charlotte does much better when she can't see Mom and Dad.

Luckily, the studio has a two-way mirror. Daphne, I, and the other parents took turns peeking through the glass to watch and to laugh.


Twice Charlotte ran out of the studio and over to me. She hugged my legs and exclaimed, "I'm so excited! Ballet is so much fun!"

Will these lessons help Charlotte become a dancer, a golfer, or an eloquent speaker? No clue. But I do think Mom will say "No" to motocross.

No comments:

Post a Comment