Friday, May 9, 2014

Ever Notice That The Barn In The Middle Looks Like It's On Fire?


In 2009, Iowa police officers were informed about a person who was selling drugs from their car. To initiate the traffic stop, the officers used an old law from 1984 that required drivers to display a "full view of all numerals and letters" on their license plates. Since the suspect's license plate frame covered the county name, they were able to stop his car and search for drugs – which were found. But as expected, the 25-year-old law was contested.

Last week the Iowa Supreme Court ruled 5-2 in favor of the law. So, if any letters on your license plate are even partially blocked by a license plate frame, you can now be ticketed.

Dang! Does that mean I have to take off my ironic "I'd Rather Be Golfing" license plate frame? I don't want to remove it, but I don't want to be pulled over, either. I think it's time to break out the hacksaw and the metal file.




I like it. You can still read the message, but now I'm obeying the law. And this solution makes a statement of its own.

Whoops. Looks like I better get rid of the metal that's covering the "I".


There. I should be safe now.

No comments:

Post a Comment