Monday, May 12, 2014

Downtown Farmers' Market 2014: Going to the Dogs Edition

Finally! May is here, and the Downtown Farmers' Market has opened. For six months we can travel downtown on Saturday mornings to walk the streets, buy the food, and pet the dogs.

Daphne and Char like the sweets.


But I'm all about the meat. You can't see it, but there are two types of cheese inside this Käse Wurst, and they're waiting to squirt up my nose when I bite in. The pretzel bun is a great compliment.


Unless the place is crowded, I'll stop by Chef Steve's stand for a kabob. Charlotte's beginning to like these too, and she'll take a few bites while the kabob gets passed between Daphne and me. It's really comforting to watch your child enjoy the same foods as you do.


We start at the parking ramp and then make our way down the southern side of Court Ave. Before turning around at Walter Street, we stop and get a BLT Pita. This too gets passed around. I used to think the combination of thick bacon, fresh greens, chopped tomato, garlic, mayo, and pita bread couldn't get better. But I was wrong; this year they added avocado. I'd tell you how good this tastes, but my mouth is full.



Yes, Char enjoys the food, but what she really loves is the dogs. On the opening morning of the market, it was like a big dog show. And by that I mean big dogs.

Char calls this "dog sniff".


Daphne's dad had a Newfoundland just about this size, and we couldn't pass by without giving this Newfie some love.



Our dog Maggie is Great Pyrenees, but this big guy weighs about 60 pounds more.


Char was really intimidated by his size.


Charlotte got to give this tall guy a treat.


Do you see that black strip of fabric across the dog's nose? It's part of his Gentle Leader, and it acts as a leash for dogs that pull too hard when you try to walk them. Maggie has one, and it has made a night and day difference when walking her. She can eat and drink when she's wearing it, but some people will mistake it for a muzzle, and avoid us. If you see a dog wearing a Gentle Leader, you can assume he's strong, but don't think it means he's dangerous.

Before we left, Char sat on this giant Dutch Letter sign for a rest. I said from behind my camera, "Hey, give me a smile." This is the pose she struck.


Where does she learn stuff like this? I asked her, but she won't tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment