Thursday, May 15, 2014

In A Flash

Because I wanted to take pictures with an old Kodak Instamatic camera, I recently learned how to load 35mm film into a defunct 126 film cartridge. I have nothing against digital pictures. I think the digital camera is one of the most convenient inventions of the past 20 years. But I have to say that I really like the look of these "lomo" pictures.

Here's a lomo-maggie shot taken in our back yard.


But instead of just being satisfied with my Instamatic, I went looking for other 126 film cameras to play with. 

That always happens to me. Sure, that original Xbox console looks to be a steal at $4.99, but by the time I buy controllers, a power cord, a cable to connect the Xbox to a TV, and a few decent games I'm down about fifty bucks. But would I buy a complete Xbox system at Goodwill for $50? Nope, I'd walk right by thinking only a fool would pay that much. But who's the fool?

Maybe I should rethink my thrift store shopping strategy? I'm not really saving money am I? Oh, who cares. I shop there because it's fun, and I don't know where the journey will take me.

Anyway, I decided I needed a 126 film camera that had a built-in flash because I didn't want to mess around with flash bulbs, and I don't want to be restricted to taking pictures only on sunny days. I hunted around and found these cameras for sale on etsy.com. 


The total cost with shipping was $30, and I didn't think was too bad, considering the Kodak camera on the right is rated as one of the finest Instamatic cameras ever produced. That's not the camera I was after, but it's a cool bonus. 

But boy was I disappointed when the cameras arrived. The Instamatic 500 was in okay shape, but the Keystone camera with the flash didn't work at all. Here's the message I sent the seller.


I wasn't all that nice, but I felt like I had the right to complain. Within an hour the seller responded by sending me a partial refund. That was fast, and I had to admit she seemed more honest that I had thought. I felt better, but I had spent $18 on cameras I didn't need, and I still didn't have one with a flash.

The next Saturday Daphne, Phaedra (Daphne's sister), and Charlotte went shopping, so I mowed the yard and then hit a flea market. That's where I found a Keystone camera just like mine. And this one was broken, too! The shutter button was stuck. I don't know why, but I opened the back cover to look inside, and that's where I spotted this little, metal lever.


When I pushed it to the right, the shutter button popped up, and when I pressed that button down, the camera took a picture. Crap. This camera wasn't broken, and I bet the one at home isn't either. 

When I got back, I checked my camera, and of course the little lever made my button pop right up. Man, I felt like an ass. Because I didn't know enough about these cameras, I had rooked an honest woman out of her money.

The only thing that kept me from immediately owning up to my mistake was that flash. I cleaned the battery contacts with steel wool and rotated four different batteries through without any success. It still wouldn't work. So, the camera was still technically broken. Wasn't it? I checked the Etsy ad, but I couldn't find any mention of the flash at all. I did see that she had listed the cameras "as is". She could have easily played the "as is" card and refunded me nothing. 

I had to suck it up, and admit I was a dork. My integrity is worth a lot more than a little embarrassment and a few bucks. After getting Charlotte to bed, I placed the camera next to the computer, and I sent the seller an explanation and her money back. She deserved both.

After hitting the "send" button, I closed the laptop, and picked up my camera. I was about to carry it to the basement where I'd hide it in my closet, but then I noticed something.


The "ready light" for the camera's flash had come on. That didn't seem possible, but I pressed the shutter button, and the room was momentarily bathed in an explosion of white light. 

I couldn't quite believe it. I waited a few seconds and watched the red light slowly grow bright again. And again the flash fired when I pressed the button. Since then, I have tried the flash several times on different days, and it has always worked. So I wouldn't be lying when I typed this, I just tried it a moment ago. There are probably a lot of explanations of why the flash now works, but I know which one I'm going with. 

I told my friend Tim this story, and when I finished he broadly smiled and said, "Congratulations. You passed the test."

1 comment:

  1. Woah...
    I don't have many words, just one, and you wrote it as a label..."God".
    Brent, may you have continued life episodes of being "bathed in an explosion of white light". Blessings!

    ReplyDelete