Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thrift Store Show and Tell: Shiny Edition

When I was a kid, I'd tell other kids that I was colorblind, and the first thing would they ask is, "Really? You can't see color? What color shirt am I wearing?"

I'd have to explain, "'Colorblind' means I don't know what color you're wearing."

As if on cue, their next question would be "Okay, well, what's your favorite color, then?"

That's when I'd lean in and quietly confide, "I like... shiny things." For effect I'd pause two full seconds before whispering the words shiny things.

Although that's a fun comeback, it's also true. There's not much color in a sparkle, but there's a lot of impact. I like the shine of chrome, the glisten of brushed aluminium, and the depth of polished brass. Copper can cast quite a gleam, too.  I'm pretty sure this attraction to shiny things is why I'm drawn to vintage items. There's not much call for chrome in today's disposable world.

I picked up this old Coleman cooler for five bucks at the H store, and I like it for the same reasons I like my old Bug. I enjoy the metal construction, the faded paint, and all the chrome trim. Although it was initially filthy, I cleaned the paint with rubbing compound, and buffed it out with car wax. Most of the rust on the chrome was erased with 0000 steel wool.

I know these old coolers aren't as efficient as their new counterparts, but you can't mount bottle openers on Styrofoam.


Although this $10 desk chair is mostly black, it has cool metal accents on the legs, and it looks pretty darn manly.


I picked up this Marantz stereo receiver for 8 dollars, and I love the faceplate's design. I like how the lettering across the top jumps from a swoopy cursive to a bold lowercase font. We then move down to thin uppercase lettering only to proceed downward to fat, lowercase across the bottom.

Best of all, The Best of Hall and Oats has never sounded better through my speakers.


Knowing my style, Daphne pointed out this lamp in a Valley Junction thrift store. I think it's a pretty great lamp for a guy's room.


But do you know what's ever better for a guy's room? That classic, rotary phone that looks cool, but isn't hooked up - no calls to answer for this guy. Awesome.

PS. The "vintage" caller ID box next to the phone is also not connected to anything, and that's my idea of a subtle joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment