Monday, November 11, 2013

Count Blessings, Not Bags

When Charlotte doesn't want to do something, she yells, "But I hate that!" We're trying to get her to use a different phrase, but I think it's hard for her because I often use the word "hate". Actually, I use it too much.


For instance, I hate it when...
I wave back at someone who wasn't waving at me.
I forget to shake the bottle, and my hot dog or hamburger is squirted with "mustard water".
I put on clean socks, and then I step into water that was spilled on the bathroom floor.
I eat a cookie with a raisin that was disguising itself as a chocolate chip. (What a dirty, sneaky raisin.)
I am trying to go to sleep in the summer, and I have to keep flipping the pillow to find the "cool spot".
I misinterpret "How's it going?" as a real question instead of a simple greeting.
I try to parallel park. 
I floss my teeth and find evidence of a meal I ate two days ago, "But we had steak on Tuesday..."
I see an inch long hair growing out of the top of my ear. "But that wasn't there yesterday! Was it...?"
I am asked to read a high school student's poetry (professional poetry is bad enough)

        My death went unnoticed
        You couldn't save me
        Black is my heart
        Veiled is my soul
        Darkness surrounds me
        Surrounds me forever

That poem was written by an upper middle-class kid who drives a bright, yellow Honda. If you only read the first letter of each line, her poem is "MY BVDs".

I had intended this post to begin with a humorous list of pet peeves, and then I'd move onto something I really hate, and that's yard care. 

But when I see news reports about what the typhoon victims are facing, and then I think about myself stamping and yelling because our maple tree dropped several bags' worth of leaves on the ground... I get embarrassed.


Thousands of people lost their lives, and I'm angry about spending a couple of hours outside getting some air and a little exercise? Not only am I acting like my three year old, I'm on her maturity level, too. Time to grow up, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment