Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Rollfast Project: Slowly, but Shirley

I have been working on the Rollfast, but progress has been slowed a bit by the size of the British hardware. Neither my SAE tools or my metric tools fit all the bolts on this bike. I suppose I could buy some Whitworth spanners, but I'm getting by with my adjustable wrenches. They just take more time to use.

The bike arrived partially unassembled in a large shipping box. I think the seller was in a rush. He included a small, sealed box of parts, but I could see nuts and bolts rolling around at the bottom of the shipping container. This large bicycle box also had open holes for handles, so I have no idea what may have bounced out. That also slows things down.

For example, I wanted to install the fenders Monday night. This should have taken five minutes.

The fenders are secured by the brake calipers and four fender bolts. The bolts weren't in the small box. I shook the shipping box, and one popped out from under a cardboard flap. I banged the box on the floor, and found three more bolts. They didn't match, though. Two were longer. But they were all the correct 26 TPI size, and they screwed directly into the fork and frame. 

The long bolts looked like they would interfere with the chain out back, but when I installed them up front, they let that fender rattle. I tried them in the back, but they wouldn't screw all the way in. What? Were these the wrong bolts? Were the right ones lost is transit? What were these for? I searched online unsuccessfully for a close up picture of Raleigh fender bolts. 

Then I checked eBay. I found two listings for Raleigh fender bolts. 



They were described as being for the rear fenders, and their extra length was for mounting a rack. I switched the bolts for the fifth time last night and also turned them around. Success!

If the seller would have just screwed the bolts back in place before boxing up the bike, then I wouldn't have spent an hour second guessing myself and chasing my tail.


Anyway, I cleaned and repacked the bearings in the front wheel and the headset, and I hope to replace the broken spoke tonight.

The bronze green color is really growing on me, but I'm colorblind. I initially thought the bike was red. So, I don't know what color I'm seeing, but I like it.


Life is full of little mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment