Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Rollfast Project: Rollin' On

What's nice about the Rollfast project is that I'm not on any type of schedule. If it gets too cold in the garage, then the bicycle can wait while I warm up. With that being said, it was nice on Saturday, and Char had an afternoon playdate. I got in some garage time after I mulched the leaves. 

The modified chain breaker successfully pressed the cotters out of the cranks. Kroil helped.


You can't tell from this photo, but this freed cotter is bent. The other cotter's top threads were stripped, so I ordered new cotters from BikeSmith Design and Fabrication.


I was able to free the fixed bottom bracket cup using this bolt/washer set up. Kroil also helped.  I got the idea from RJ the Bike Guy's website, he has several videos where he shows you how to make tools using parts from the hardware store. RJ got the idea for removing the cup from the late Sheldon Brown's website. This exchange of ideas is how the internet is supposed to work.


I now realize that I haven't tried turning the cup back into place. I have no idea if I stripped the frame's threads. If I did, then this project is over. I'll have to check when I get back to the garage.


Dried grease can be removed with the grinder's wire brush. But I got a tip from John's Bicycle Restorations blog: I can also use an old crockpot. I fill it with water and a few squirts of Dawn dish soap. The crockpot is set on low. After 12 hours, I can wipe the grease off with a shop towel. I have to be careful, though. The parts are hot!


I used the wire brush and the polishing wheel method on the left crank. The sprocket / crank was soaked in the crockpot. I don't see much difference in the results.


But there was dried grease caked on underneath the crank, and it came off in the soapy water. That would be hard to reach with a wire brush. It is useful to have both methods available.


I ordered gum wall tires from Amazon. I placed them next to the bike and decided I liked the look.


The front tire was tough to install.  It was such a tight fit. First I got a blister on my palm, and then I tore the blister open. I'm not going to mess with the rear tire until I find the correct spoke to replace the broken one. I'll do the two jobs at once.

I spent the rest of the day polishing the frame's paint with rubbing compound and a clearer wax.


I don't mind the patina, but I bet the bronze green paint was pretty when it was new. 


Now to go out to the garage and see if I ruined the bottom bracket's threads...

Whew. I didn't ruin the threads; they're fine. I don't know why I scare myself like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment