Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Rollfast Project: Forward Momentum

The Rollfast project is picking up speed. 

I got a replacement spoke from Kyle's Bikes for $1.49.  I wondered if the shop guy would look down on my 53-year-old rim, but he only gave me a little good natured grief. Then he told me about a world record that had been set by Tommy Godwin. In 1939, Tommy rode a three-speed 75,000 miles in one year. Impressive. I just want to get around the neighborhood.

(For my own reference, it's a 284 2.0/14G.) My new, shiny spoke sticks out among his galvanized brethren:


I swapped the old 18 tooth sprocket with a new 22 tooth sprocket. This should help me climb the hills to our house. It's a five and five upgrade: five dollars to buy and five minutes to install. 


This time I used tire levers to install the rear tire. The tire went on much faster than the front one did, and I didn't get any blisters. Work smarter, not harder. 


I like the look of the gum wall tires. Too bad I put the rear wheel on the wrong way...


The three speed shifter that came with the bike was about two decades newer than the Rollfast, so I bought this more period correct shifter on eBay. The seller commented that it should clean up well.


I think he was right.


 I can start installing these parts once I get the rear wheel turned around.


I'm glad there is still work to do. I'm having fun, and this bicycle gives me something new to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment