Friday, January 19, 2018

New Project!

I don't know what I was exactly doing at the time, but I remember thinking last week, "I wish I had a new bike project. I miss working on bicycles."

Goodwill fulfilled that wish last night. I spotted a complete, but neglected 1979 Schwinn Suburban that I couldn't walk away from. It was a daddy-daughter night, so once I had it home I only had time to fill the tires with air so the bike was easier to move.

I haven't measured it yet, but this ten speed looks like it has the diminutive 17" frame. If you were trying to find a vintage steed this small, you could have a hard time. This bike sports standard 27" rims despite its petite size. New tires and tubes should be easy to find.


The basket is a nice touch, but it might be too big.


The camera's flash belies the amount of dirt and grime, but that's an easy fix. Also, steel wool will remove the light surface rust on the chrome. I'm looking forward to washing and waxing that frosty blue paint.


The original Schwinn saddle will probably have to go. It's heavier than it is comfortable. Surprisingly, the generator and the rear light both work. I'll store them for a future project.


The same goes for the "Up Periscope!" headlight. 


I refurbished a project bike like this three years ago. That was a good time, and I sold the bike to someone who really wanted it. I'm curious to see how this one comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment