Thursday, February 16, 2017

Smells Like 1978

I found this Wondergap Lp among the record crates at Goodwill, but when I got it home I discovered that the bottom of the record sleeve was slightly moldy. That happens sometimes. When you buy a stack of records, a dirty one can slip by and escape the store. You can't keep it, though. 

One moldy record can infect the rest of your collection. I tried to recycle it, but after I tossed it into the bin I started feeling guilty that I did not even give the record a chance.


(This is what the clean artwork should look like)


The record's vinyl was dirty, but it didn't stink like mold, so I brought it in the house and cleaned it. 

I'm glad I did. From the lyrics that slide into French to the female back up singers' "Ohhhh Ohhhhh Ooooooos's", this record is the epitome of late 1970s easy listening.

I have found precious little about the Wondergap; about all I could turn up was that this is their only recording. Punk was starting to make some noise around this time. Maybe Wondergap was released a couple of years late?

 "Elise" is my favorite track. You can check it out here:

Wondergap - "Elise"

No comments:

Post a Comment