Friday, July 29, 2016

RAGBRAI '16: One Morning, 35 Miles, and some Steep Hills

Thursday's route for the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa traveled through Moravia (my grandma lives there) and ended in Ottumwa (where Daphne's grandpa lives.) 



Since the weather forecast looked good, we called our grandparents to see if we could leave cars in both towns and spend the night at my grandma's place. They were more than happy to help us.

I loaded up the RAV.


This year we left the Burley behind and brought Char's tag-a-long instead. I rode my '79 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8. It's a little lighter than the '85 Schwinn Traveler I rode two years ago.

Considering the hills my untrained legs were going to climb, I would need all the help I could get.


I didn't take many pictures during the ride. I was too busy trying to survive the hills and keep the bike under control. Char twists her body when she pedals, and that can make my bike take unexpected changes in direction. You have to be on your game the entire time.

We did stop our bikes to fuel up and cool down. Somewhere after Unionville we yelled, "Bike off!" and Daphne bought us two lemonaide slushies and a Gatoraide.


Later in Blakesburg, Daphne found a stand selling the cantaloupes that Char wanted.


We also shared some church cookies.


A lot of people noticed how young Char is, and the both spectators and passing bicyclists spoke words of encouragement. We heard, "There's the Pink Flash!", "Way to go girl!", and "Keep pedaling! Your Dad's slackin'!"

On one particularly long hill, a woman rider commented, "Oh, that does my heart good. A family that prays together, stays together." I knew she meant "plays" instead of "prays", but as we struggled with the incline I replied to what she said. "Well, that's good, because I'm praying right now." She laughed and said, "I'll keep you in my prayers, too. I've been praying for myself all morning!"

Char is very shy around strangers, and she wouldn't reply to anyone who was giving her words of praise or teasing her because she wasn't pedaling. Daphne or I would often answer for her.

One woman said "Good job, honey!"as she passed us, and I smiled and said "Thanks!" as if she was talking to me. She quickly looked away, but I thought it was funny. I get punchy when I'm tired.

We left Moravia around 7:20, and we arrived in Ottumwa around 11:30. We didn't ride the whole route, but biking 35.7 miles is a pretty good jaunt for a five-year-old. Except for the typical, "Are we there yet?" questions, Char didn't complain once.

She was rewarded with some shaved ice.


And I ate a brisket sandwich.


Then it was time to gather up our bikes, our gear, and our cars. We were exhausted, but happy the day was a success.

At home, as Daphne and I were limping around on stiff legs, Charlotte enthusiastically asked, "What are we doing tomorrow!"

Daphne answered for us both. "I don't know honey... hopefully something quiet."

RAGBRAI '14 link

No comments:

Post a Comment