Monday, July 11, 2016

Our Trip to Canada: Thrift Store Edition

Last summer we spent some time in Oceanside, California. I came home with a t-shirt for a souvenir. I like to wear it, but the shirt is a bit touristy.


This year I thought I see if I could find something more unique on our family trip. As is my habit, I turned to my favorite source for such things: thrift stores.



Since we were three airports away from home, I needed to shop for items that were unbreakable and easily packed into a suitcase. Let's see what I found.

This Tee Fury shirt features Calvin and Hobbes reenacting a scene from The Empire Strikes Back. It doesn't have any specific tie to Canada, but it looked unworn and was too cool to pass up.


Our rental had a washer and a dryer, so I picked up this Toronto Blue Jays tee to wear were while we on the island. Wearing it made me a poser, but sometimes it nice to blend in with your surroundings. (I did check the Blue Jays' record and schedule in case some fan wanted to chat about the team.)


Kent Building Supplies is like Home Depot, and I thought the big "EH!" was funny and very Canadian. They do say, "Eh" a lot up there.


I've never played squash, but this shirt is directly tied to Prince Edward Island, and Daphne commented how nice the colors are. Score!




My favorite shirt find was this vintage Rod Stewart concert tee from 1984.



It was way too small for me, but I didn't buy it for myself. I bought it for Char to wear as a nightshirt. I thought would look way cool on her. When I showed it to Daphne at the store she told me, "I think you appreciate stuff like this more than I do, but I'll trust you."

I think I was right.


I also snagged this Charlottetown Abbies ball cap for Char. The Abbies aren't a hockey team anymore, but Charlotte didn't care. She was excited to see her name in the logo.


This Abbies license plate accompanies the hat well. If Char doesn't want it in her room, then I'll put it up in the basement.


The idea was to not pack beach towels. Instead we'd buy some at a thrift store, wash them, use them, and then just leave them behind at the rental. But this shark towel was too cute to leave in Canada.


I also found a shirt for Daphne. She laughed when I showed it to her, so I knew it was a winner. Besides, we found out that we really do love mussels - more on that later.


I didn't know if this Prince and the New Power Generation cassette would make it back home in one piece, but for 49 cents I was willing to try. 


Does anyone play cassettes anymore? I mean, besides me?


For my money, side one is better than side two. 

The only other thing we picked up was a frisbee, and we picked this up again and again and again at the park near our rental.


Maybe the next time we take a trip I won't pack anything more than underwear, socks, and a nice outfit or two. I could buy the rest of my wardrobe at the thrift store...

I do have to say it was great to have a convenient way to wash our clothes. It lessened the amount of garments to pack, and when we got home all we did was put our clean clothes back in the closet instead of in a pile next to the hamper.

No comments:

Post a Comment