Friday, October 30, 2015

Digital Memories

Last night we carved Charlotte's pumpkin. She used a program on Starfall.com to design it.


Here's the pumpkin she wanted.


I think I got pretty close.


Char was happy, and Maggie approved, too.


I might have had better pictures to share, but I left our digital camera in the coat I forgot at school. I'm not used to wearing coats, yet. I took these pictures with the camera we inherited from Daphne's mom. I don't use Deb's camera very often, and I'm not familiar with its settings.

I got a little choked up when I connected her camera to my computer. I had forgotten that all of Deb's pictures were still in the camera's memory. Scrolling through these pictures is not like reading someone's diary, but it is personal. These pictures are images of what she saw, valued, and loved. It's a chance to see the world through her eyes. What a great way to remember somebody.

Here are a few glimpses from Deb's world.

Usually, I'm the family photographer, so this is a rare picture of baby Charlotte and me.



Char's first haircut.



Here's one of the few times Charlotte spent the day at Grandma Deb's house.


This picture was taken during a day of baking cookies with her girls. Nice aprons, ladies.


This is my favorite. The four of us went trick or treating in Valley Junction. 


My costume is Donnie Darko, but no one ever gets it.


I don't give out much advice, but if you can take digital pictures, then I think you should as often as you can. Digital photography is one of great technological advances of our time. You can take thousands of pictures for such little money. If you have to buy extra memory for storage, then save up and buy it.

The next time you're at a family function or surrounded by loved ones, take as many pictures as humanly possible. You don't have to make people pose, either. Nothing records real life like an unscripted and candid photo (in the picture of Char's first haircut, check out Daphne's reaction in the mirror). So don't ask for permission. Just shoot away. Your subjects might not appreciate that, but someone else will.

I can promise you that.

No comments:

Post a Comment