Tuesday, October 13, 2015

There is a Square in There Somewhere

We returned to Pumpkinville to take another stab at their Big Corn Maze on Sunday.



Hidden inside the 20 acres of corn stalks are 20 signposts. Each post features a design and a corresponding hole punch.


When you find a new signpost, you mark the same design on your punch card.


Char led the charge the first time we tried the maze. We found ten signposts as we randomly walked around. The only problem was when Charlotte would get excited and run down a path where we couldn't see her. The idea of losing her in all of that corn was scary (I kept thinking about the Stephen King movie Children of the Corn, but I kept that to myself.)


We were better prepared for our second trip into the labyrinth. This time we brought along a printout of the maze and a marker. Char marked off each row after we had walked it.


Since we were armed with this map, Daphne could find sections of the maze that would make a circle or a triangle. We let Char explore these sections by herself since she couldn't get lost in them. When she found a post she would yell, "PUNCH!" Then we'd come running.


She got pretty excited when she found a signpost.


Like the Children of the Corn movie, there's another thought I should have kept to myself: I bet we walk through this whole place and in the end we find 19 posts, not 20. But I did say it out loud, and my prediction came true. We didn't find the "square" post.


Why couldn't I have said, "I bet we get home and find out I won the lotto jackpot"?

Char didn't care, though. She was getting tired from all the walking, and she wanted to play on the hay bales. Those we could find.


No comments:

Post a Comment