Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Bug Update: Band-Aid Solutions (Part 2)

I removed my battery's old positive and negative cables last night.


Apparently bolt-on cable attachments can get sketchy, so I ordered some new, one-piece units.


Check it out, you can kind of see the license plate I used to patch my batter tray. Now that's a band-aid fix. I tried to really clean up the area where the negative cable strap (silver) connects to the body. I used a wire brush that inserts into a cordless drill, and I could see a big improvement.


I've been learning a lot about the Bug's electrical system, but I was stumped when I discovered this connector. It's mounted under the car near the starter, but it doesn't appear in the wiring diagram.


I wanted to pull the wires off so I could clean the connections, but the wires were stuck. My guess was that they were rusted. It's been my experience that yanking on old wires usually results in something getting broken, so I wanted to identify this part before I broke it. I asked the people on the Samba forums for help. I was quickly told it's a "hard start relay", and it's also known as a "band-aid fix". One guy commented that my hard start relay is a sure sign of a poorly maintained car.

Here's the deal on these relays. The battery in an old Beetle is located under the back seat, and the ignition switch (where you put the key) is near the front of the car. This means electricity has to travel along one long wire from the battery to the key, and then to the starter's solenoid - which is in the back of the car. That's a lengthy loop, and there's a lot opportunity for an old wire to build up resistance. One samba member compared the wire to a garden hose and resistance to kinks in the hose. The more kinks (resistance) in the hose the less water (electricity) comes out. A hard start relay allows the electrical current from the battery to travel directly to the starter solenoid, and the loop is avoided.

Most people call this a band-aid solution because it allows a car with allegedly "dirty" wiring to start anyway. They stress that if you properly clean all of your connections and grounds the relay is unnecessary. Supporters of the hard start say that using it lessens the load on the ignition switch, and it's a better option than having to service 50-year-old wiring.

Two of the female connectors broke when I tried to clean my relay, so I decided to test how "clean" my electrical system is. I removed the relay, and climbed behind the wheel to see if the car would start. I turned the key and... nothing. There was no response from the car whatsoever. It was dead.

I then cleaned the relay's posts, I cut and crimped new 10 gauge wires, and I returned the relay to its place.


My car started as soon as I turned the key. What to do?

Let's examine my options. I could strip the car electronically and install a new wiring harness because people I have never met think that's the "pure" way to go, or I could keep this relay (which is clearly manufactured by Volkswagen) on my car and go on my happy way. Looks like I'm a starter relay kind of guy.

While we're on this topic...

Charlotte, this is what I want you to learn. Most of the comments in the forums about hard start relays are negative. That doesn't mean most people dislike them, it means the most vocal group dislikes them. Please don't feel that you have to follow the loudest or most popular opinion in the room. Weigh your options and go with what works for you. Keep this in mind when you're hanging out with friends, using social media, and watching or reading the news.

Also, the guy who commented that my car was "obviously poorly maintained" wasn't being constructive. He was being unkind to make himself feel better. Making cruel comments is his band-aid solution. Tearing someone down so you can build up yourself doesn't work. You can't heal your cuts by wounding others.

Even though you are only four, I have known for years that you have a huge heart, and unfortunately that heart will be an easy target. You feel rejections and criticisms so deeply, and this scares me. When I read about a child who committed suicide because they were bullied, I tear up and my stomach knots. Maybe some of your heart came from me.

This is what I want you to know. People will try to hurt you. They won't hurt you because there is something wrong with you. And they won't do it you because you did something wrong. I have found that people are most likely to want to hurt you but because you did something well, or you did the right thing. Nothing brings out the worst in some people than watching others working hard and achieving. These people are called haters, and you'll just have to learn to ignore them and their actions. That's an easy sentence to write, but it's not an easy skill to learn. You have to practice. As Mom and I are raising you, you are going to hear us saying phrases like these over and over.

"You shouldn't care what people who act like that think."
"You're a Monson, and we don't act or talk like that."
"Do what's right, not what's popular."
"Don't gives up! Charlotte Grace Monson can handle anything!"

That might get repetitive, but I don't care. More than anything I want you to work hard and do the right thing despite what others say or do. When you grow up and become really good at this, you'll know that there are people who are against you, but you'll embrace the fact that you are nothing like them.
 
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends, but by those aligned against us." Frank Kelly Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment