Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Downtown Farmers' Market: The Cost of Inflation

On Saturday the gals and I visited the Downtown Farmers' Market. The weather was cool enough for Maggie to come along, too.


Things started off great. Char had a cookie.


 And we got to try a new stand that was selling awesome grilled cheese sandwiches. That was a cool surprise.



Daphne bought us a "Classic with Bacon" to share. So simple, but so good.


After wolfing down my half of the sandwich, I had a kabob chaser.


As I said, I was having a great day eating my way through the market, but then it happened. Char spotted the balloon animal guy.

Dang it!

Usually we distract Char, and take the sidewalk on opposite side of the street, hiding behind the tents and stands over there, "I don't see where the balloon guy is, honey. Let's see if we can find him down this way." But the balloon stand was now in Char's full view. How did I let that happen?


I've got nothing against the balloon guy, personally. But as a parent, I hate his balloon animals. What you're buying your kid is certain disappointment and abrupt pain. To make a weather comparison, these balloons are dark, ominous, thunderclouds. It's going to be noisy, and you're going to get wet.

Char won't listen when I explain that balloon animals aren't fun for anyone. You can't really play with a balloon animal. Swing the "sword" around a room for five seconds, and it's a goner. Even the balloon artist knows how ridiculously fragile they are. When he finishes his creation, he hands it to you with a warning, "Don't put it on the ground! It will pop!" So if you can't play with it, and you can't put it down, then what are supposed to do with it? Here's your balloon animal, Charlotte. Now gently stand still for two days. That's not gonna happen. When Char was younger she'd squeeze these balloons like Lennie in Of Mice and Men, and they always popped right in front of her face. That's scary; and it hurts, too. Not only is her balloon gone, it screamed in her ear when it died. The aftermath is terrible.

I think the balloon animal's only purpose is to parade it in front of other kids without balloon animals. These things create elitists.

Another thing I hate about balloon animals is the line you have to stand in. It's like shopping at Hobby Lobby. You stand there watching the clerk busily doing something, but the line never seems to move. Luckily, a cover band was playing the patio behind us. Here's "La Grange" by ZZ Top. I liked his shout out to the farmers' market.

 

We got to listen to that band for 39 minutes. That's how long it took to get to the front of the line. I have never waited that long for anything at any market.  I don't think Eddie Money's lyrics could have been more fitting (you can hear them in the background).


Earlier we stepped out of line so Char could pick what balloon creation she wanted. I was hoping she'd choose that blank spot beneath Flower, and we could just go home, but she finally made her decision.


What do you think she picked?


She picked the Fairy. He's a picture I took of it while Char took mom to the bathroom.


Looking at it, I started thinking, "You know, I have to admit, it is pretty intricate. As far as these balloons go, this design is..." and then the damn thing blew out of the stroller and down the sidewalk.

I jumped up, but I couldn't run after it. I had Maggie with me and letting go of her leash near a busy street wasn't an option. Thankfully, a knowing mom caught the fairy before it was run over. I was so relieved when she brought it to me.

"Thank you so much! If this thing would have popped I would have been in so much trouble."

"Oh, I understand. Aren't these things are the worst?"

"Yes. Yes they are." It's nice to know I'm not the only balloon scrooge out there.

Before we left the market we rewarded Maggie with a few of our poffertjes from Breakfast Delights. The family that runs the Breakfast Delights food stand is so nice.


Maggie can't talk, but you can tell she like the poffertjes.


On the way back to the car Char destroyed one of the fairy's wings, and part of its dress popped, but Char seemed braced for this. She got a bit upset, but she didn't cry.  I'd call that progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment