Thursday, December 5, 2019

The Rollfast Project: A Test Ride

It's not done, but the Rollfast is mobile. 

I took the bike out for a shakedown just before sundown. I remembered to wear my helmet. When I took the Aragon out for its first spin, the handlebars came loose, I almost wiped out, and my noggin was unprotected...

The Rollfast went forward when I pedaled, shifted gears when I moved the shifter, and stopped when I applied the brakes. I returned safely to the driveway, and I didn't embarrass myself. 

I'll call that a success. 


I bought the Brooks grips a couple of years ago for the Voyager 11.8, but I think they suit an English bicycle better.  When I installed the grips, I noticed the right side of the handlebars was bent. I straightened the bar the best I could, and a replacement from Amazon should be here soon.

I had to ditch the vintage brake levers because they didn't allow enough room for the grips. The new handlebar might correct that, but I like the Tektrol levers, so I think they'll stay. 


These brake cable clips are not the original Raleigh clips, but I like how they look.


I had to make some adjustments to the shifter cable after the shakedown. The rear hub was slipping into neutral when I was in second gear. I believe that means the cable was slightly loose.



I'm not sure if I'll keep using this Brooks saddle. It looks okay, but a leather Brooks would be better. I'm also on the fence about the pedals. Era-correct block pedals might be better. 


The front wheel bearings still need grease, and I could put a new tire on that rim when I need something to do. The temp is suppose to hit 56 today, so I hope to cruise around this afternoon and see how the Rollfast shifts.

Maybe I'll wear a tweed jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment