Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The Rollfast Project: The Persuader/ Pedal Edition

Here's a fun slang term:


Some rider in the past must have had at least two yard sales on the Rollfast. I don't know how else both crank arms (where the pedals attach) could have gotten so bent. I was able to straighten the removed, left side crank with some taps with a sledgehammer, but that won't work on the right side crank. The sprocket is in the way.

For this fix, I needed a Persuader.


I went to the Habitat ReStore and bought a used pipe for $3.75. The pipe's interior diameter had to be an inch wide to fit over my crank arm. 


This isn't sophisticated. I slid the pipe in position and lightly pulled on the end. Then I removed the pipe and checked my progress. Lather, rinse, repeat. I had to go easy with this much leverage. It would not be hard to persuade the crank arm to bend too far. I had the best results when I placed the pipe about halfway down the crank.

That looks a lot better. Thanks, Persuader.


Now both cranks are much more parallel to each other. That should make the bike more comfortable to pedal.


On the topic of pedals, I took another look at what arrived with the Rollfast.


I though they were a grungy, mismatched pair. When I cut the zip tie, I discovered that they are both stamped "Made in England." The pedals are still grungy, but they do match.

According to the late Sheldon Brown's website, "Older [bicycle] models had rubber block pedals made in the Raleigh factory in Nottingham. Raleigh was the last bicycle maker to make its own pedals. They were very high quality, and were completely rebuildable... In the late 1960s, as a cost-cutting move, Raleigh fitted horrible cheap pedals that had no ball bearings."

Hmmm... maybe these pedals are better than I thought? They are rebuildable, so I think they'll be worth saving. I installed them, and I have to admit that they look at home on the bike.


One pedal is missing a dust cap and there was quite bit of muck inside of it. A paper towel and a bit of oil smoothed out its crusty movement. The metal should clean up nicely, but those beat, rubber blocks have seen better days. I will keep an eye out for replacements.

I haven't dismantled pedals before, and that seems like a good basement project. It will be something to do when it gets too cold to work in the garage.

Now I'm on the lookout for another dust cap.


I was 14 when I started working on the car my dad had parked behind our garage. I vacuumed it out and covered the vinyl interior with Armor All. Then I cleaned every inch of the engine bay with a toothbrush and a jar of solvent. My dad joked, "I bet that old Ford doesn't what hit it." I think it was a compliment.

I wonder if all my projects feel that way?

I hope they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment