Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Break '18: Saturday in San Francisco

Except for a couple overnights in Kansas City and Minneapolis, Daphne and I have not taken a spring break vacation together. This year we changed that by flying to San Francisco.

Charlotte was playing with Maggie on the morning we were leaving. This is how Maggie greeted me after Daphne and I had finished packing.


I laughed and said, "Sorry Maggie, even if you do have flowers in your hair, you can't come with us to San Francisco."

Friday was spent in airports and airplanes. Snacks, McDonald's, and books on CD kept Charlotte happy. Des Moines airport:


Dallas airport:


On Saturday morning I discovered that the streets are steeper in SF than I had imagined. Some sidewalks had steps built in to help you make your way up, but it felt like you needed a ladder instead.


It looks like these cars could almost flip over and roll down the hill, and this wasn't the steepest street we saw cars parked on.


We didn't rent a car. Parking was very expensive, and with all the cable cars, buses, and trains crisscrossing, I would have been too intimidated to be comfortable behind the wheel. We rode when we could, and walked when we had to. Daphne is really good at reading maps and train schedules.

Also, cable cars are cool.




The cable car took us to the indoors/ outdoors farmers' market.



Normally, this wouldn't be my first choice for a farmers' market sandwich, but you have to trust local resources. The fish is going to be so much better in a coastal city than it would be in landlocked Iowa. This sandwich was excellent.  


Char likes feeding and chasing seagulls.


I felt like this menu was speaking to me.


Let's zoom in:


Okay, I believe you menu, but it's too early for me. Thanks, though.

Speaking of drinking...



It's time to head inside for more market.


Most people gravitate towards ice cream cones. I tend to go the other way.



After market, we checked out a nearby fountain. You could walk around and under parts of it.


The cell phone my buddy Rob gave me takes better pictures than our camera.



There was a park nearby, but it didn't hold Char's interest for long. She told us she's now too big for parks. We would find out later that it is not true.


Char likes to take pictures, too.


We rode a bus to Pier 39. True, it's a tourist trap, but I like getting caught in those things. It was neat to see the sea lions hanging out, and they talk more than sixth period.


We also watched a street performer hammer a 4" nail into his head via his nostril.



He also jumped on broken glass with his bare feet.


Char's sugar consumption was low, or so she claimed, so she hit the cotton candy for a refill.


On the way back to the hotel, we checked out a nearby resturant, Hopwater Distribution. Their menu spoke to Daphne.


Hopwater wasn't open, so we opted to try Hogwash for dinner. It's a brewpub that also makes their own sausages.




Daphne had the Burnin' Brock.


I chose the Abe Froman. (Nice Ferris reference.)


We went "home", watched a movie, and got some needed rest for the next day.

On Sunday Charlotte was going to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment