Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Little Things

When I started this blog, I knew I wouldn't be writing about "elevated" topics. I am not that sophisticated, and I would fail miserably if I tried. I wanted to create a blog that was a love letter to parenting and a record of Charlotte's early life. I wanted to find a small pocket of the internet where I could keep my little family stories - hence my blog's title. My title is also a riff on Don Freeman's classic children's story, A Pocket for Corduroy.

After deciding on a title, I needed to find a quote that would set the tone for the blog. A line from Barbara Pym's comedic novel, Excellent Women, neatly encapsulates my philosophy. I really believe that, "The small things of life were often so much bigger than the great things..."

Barbara and I are not the only people who have felt this way. Ben Franklin, in a letter to Lord Kames on February 28, 1768, stated, "I have long been of an opinion similar to that you express, and think happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom to a man in the course of his life."

There is nothing wrong with homecoming crowns, first place medals, or winners' trophies. They represent great accomplishments and recognition for hard work (well, maybe not the homecoming crowns.) However, none of these great events are going to sustain a life of happiness. As Robert Frost noted, "Nothing gold can stay." The crowd's adoration wanes, memories fade, and gold plate tarnishes. 

I'm not saying that you should give up your dreams of winning the big game or being number one at something. There is nothing wrong with wanting to win. Just don't think these "...great pieces of good fortune that happen seldom..." are all you should look forward to. 

The world is full of little things to enjoy. Learn to appreciate them, and they will build into something bigger and shinier than anything that is gold.

For example, here are fifty-some small things (in no particular order) that make me happy.

  1. Saturday morning breakfast
  2. Rereading a favorite book 
  3. Learning a new skill
  4. Starting a new project
  5. Helping out a friend
  6. The end of a work day 
  7. Helping out a stranger 
  8. Pop music with hand clap percussion
  9. Farmers' markets
10. Flea markets, garage sales, and thrift stores
11. Back rubs
12. When my daughter teases me
13. Afternoon naps
14. British accents
15. Fixing something broken
16. Autumn leaves in someone else's yard
17. Making my wife and/or daughter laugh
18. Vintage t-shirts
19. Movie theater butter
20. Coasting downhill
21. Finding coins 
22. State and county fairs
23. Mail packages on the front step
24. Hot fudge sundaes
25. Gas station pizza
26. Vintage motorcycles and cars
27. Scooby Doo movies
28. Being a husband
29. Being a dad
30. Buying presents for others
31. Movie nights on the couch
32. Fireplaces in winter
33. 90s alternative music
34. Slow cookers
35. Digital photo frames
36. Adding peanut butter to anything edible
37. Telling my dog it is time for a walk
38. Writing this blog post
39. Loud high fives
40. Charcoal grills
41. Using old tools
42. Pinball
43. The SNES game Aladdin
44. Long showers
45. Making meals for others
46. Waking up my daughter
47. Discovering a new author
48. Sharing
49. Sleeping in
50. Coffee filters

Really? Coffee filters? Yep. Check it out:



I could have easily added another 50, but I'm easy to please. Thank goodness.

Oh, I forgot. I also like getting into a cold bed and kicking my legs back and forth to warm it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment