Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Pick a Record, Any Record! (An Email Reprint)

(This email is from 2010)

I hit the flea market at the Iowa State Fairgrounds on Saturday, and I scored a box of 135 45s for $10!


Sadly, my best turntable has been packed away in an effort to sell our house, so I brought the box to work today. I have a turntable at school, and I I was itching to play a few records.

The name of the game is "Randomly Pick-a-45-and-Play-Both-Sides," and so far I've blindly reached in and pulled out
Sade's "Smooth Operator" / "Hang on to Your Love" and Wayne Newton's Danke Schoen" (Ferris!)/ "Heart!"

This is fun! For $10, this box was a steal.

2017 Update: I didn't even remember that I had this box of 45s at school, but my student teacher spotted it when I was showing her where I keep the tests and other materials in the classroom closet.

Let's play another round of "Randomly Pick-a-45-and-Play-Both-Sides." 

Oh no! It's "Think of Laura" by Christopher Cross.


Better grab some Kleenexes:

"Think of Laura" link

They don't make songs like that anymore, and actually that is a good thing. Hopefully the B side is more up-beat:


I think the flip side is almost as depressing as "Think of Laura," but even If I never play the record again, it was worth 13.5 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment