Friday, February 20, 2015

Pony Up

Last week the Des Moines Register ran a few photos of Char's preschool class.


I thought it was pretty neat to see her in the paper, but I felt guilty that her hair was all over the place. 

That's because most weekday mornings Daphne's off to work before 6:30, so I'm the one that does Char's hair. And I'm not very good at it. 

I kinda hate brushing her hair; it's stressful. After rolling around the bed all night, her hair is full of tangles, and Char yells and cries when I have to pull the brush through them. After the fifth scream I used to threaten her with a pixie cut. But that just makes the screaming turn into crying, and that really doesn't accomplish anything does it? 

Hair detangler spray is much more useful. 

I don't hate the brushing anymore, but by the time I get her hair smooth and straight I'm ready to get her coat on and take her to daycare.


But because of that photo, I've stepped up my game and moved onto making pony tails.


I didn't tell her the first time I put her hair in a pony tail. And she didn't notice it until we were in the bathroom brushing her teeth. Char caught a glimpse in the mirror, turned her head, and flipped it up with the back of her hand, "Nice pony tail, Dad. You did a good job!"

It's cool when your efforts are recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment