Thursday, June 19, 2014

An Aside (Table)

I bought half (or is it a third?) of an old desk at a Goodwill store when we were in Lincoln a few weeks ago. Here it is in the hotel's parking lot.


My idea was to clean it up and use it as a side table for our guest room. I bought chemical stripper, mineral spirits, a brush, and some stain at the hardware store. I already had sandpaper and steel wool.

I didn't do any online research for this project, and I didn't go to the library, either. This time I just read the instructions on the backs of the cans and went for it.

First came the chemical stripper. It's nasty stuff, but chemicals do their job. Goodbye paint.


I made two passes with the stripper.


And then I sanded until it was time for ballet lessons.


I chose Mission Oak Gloss for the stain color, and I used a stain and polyurethane in one product. I sanded the wood with 0000 steel wool after each coat of stain. The finish is a bit shinier than I expected, but what did I think a polyurethane gloss finish would look like? I stopped after three coats.


I picked up some new hardware at Home Depot, and called it done.



Welcome to your new home, side table. 


Will this become a cherished, family heirloom? Doubtful. But it was a fun project, and I learned a bit along the way. Can't ask for more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment