Monday, March 24, 2014

Our Weekend Was Quite a Circus

Last Saturday morning we took Charlotte to the Za-Ga-Zig Shrine Circus. We got there around 9:20 as they were taking down the equipment for the animal rides.


I haven't been to a three-ring circus since 4th grade, but I remembered how much junk they sell, and I also remember how I wanted to buy it all. On the drive to the fairgrounds I made Charlotte an offer. I promised her that I would buy any food she wanted at the circus as long as she didn't ask for any of the junky toys that they sell: no inflatable aliens, no light sticks, and no guns that spray sparks. Char was quick to agree. It was the word "gun" that tipped the scales, "I don't like guns, Dad! I'm not a gun girl!"

Well, okay, then. (Actually, they don't sell those sparking guns anymore, but the lighted "princess wands" aren't much better.)

As promised, as soon as we got in our seats, I got us some popcorn.


Then we settled in to watch the show. Man, I don't remember what we paid for the tickets (Char was free with those passes that Casey's gives away), but you get a lot of circus for your buck. We were there for almost three hours.


After ninety minutes the acts took a break during the intermission. The elephants and miniature horses were brought back out for the kids to ride.


Char was content to pose near the elephant. She's wearing the mask that came with a large bag of cotton candy. At first she thought she was a zebra, but later she decided she was a tiger.


That bag of cotton candy was the size of a pillowcase on your bed, and Char shoved about half of it in her mouth. You give that much sugar to a little girl, and you just know there's going to be some repercussions. I swear, if you put your hand on Char's shoulder you could feel her vibrate.


Later a few Shriner clowns got close to where we were sitting, but I won't make any of my usual clown comments. I had a sometimes surly roommate whose little sister was born with a disability. He had nothing but praise for the Shriners and all the good work they do for children.


Right before the intermission ended, the Shriner clowns threw about 100 t-shirts into the crowd, but Char was too busy eating a hotdog to care. Charlotte still got a shirt, through. A kind, teenage girl sitting near us caught a shirt, but since she couldn't wear a child-sized small, she gave it to us. When Char unrolled the green fabric into a shirt she lit up like the fiery hoops the tigers leap through.


Get back! That tiger's about to spring! 


"Rawwwr!"

No comments:

Post a Comment