Monday, May 17, 2021

Bridges to Cross

I would often put events from my life in my lesson plans when I taught in the English department. When I taught the short story, "By the Waters of Babylon", by Stephen Vincent BenĂ©t, I would read this paragraph to the class.

Then we would talk about 5th grade and 8th grade promotion ceremonies, high school graduation, and going off to college as examples of rites of passage. If I was to teach "By the Waters of Babylon" again, I would have a new video to show. 


Last week Charlotte had her Girl Scout "Bridging Ceremony." I thought is was cool that they actually used a bridge to symbolize the passage from one step of Girl Scouts to another. I know that Char isn't interested in moving on with this organization, but it was a fun event nevertheless.


Like every other parent, I can't wait to take pictures of my kid without a mask covering her face.


I like the fact that she's getting older, but Char is still not too old to want to jump around on play equipment.


Makes me think of her graduation from Safety City in 2015. That program was for children about to enter kindergarten. 


Now she's about to become a middle schooler... There are so many more bridges to cross. 

(Why does looking at that picture of five-year-old Charlotte make me feel a twinge of sadness? I suppose it's because I'm looking at a snapshot of time that can never be recaptured. 

You know what? The first thing I'm going to do when Charlotte gets home is hug her.)

No comments:

Post a Comment